Thursday, August 28, 2014

How to change YOUR taste buds***

Ok, a friend of mine challenged me EARLY this morning to ONLY state positive things today.  At the risk of failing that challenge, I refuse to tell you how my taste buds haven't changed when it comes to macaroni & cheese, nor will I tell you my opinion of macaroni & cheese ;)

Instead, I will tell you a little story of how I recently changed my taste buds and my 88 year old grandmother's opinion of it...it's a much more interesting and uplifting story!  So, I've always known it was possible to change taste buds as there are several foods that are tastier to me these days than they were in my early years of life and I've researched the subject as well.  Luckily I was raised around LOTS of fruits and vegetables and was ALWAYS encouraged to try new foods.  I think this has a lot to do with my views of food these days and my willingness to experiment.  My 88 year old grandmother has been mentioning over the last couple of years how coffee helps with memory.  Coffee is also a great natural drink and it helps calm an ADD/ADHD brain (pretty sure I fall under that category).  Now, if you couple that information with the information I've learned about food, sugar, artificial sweetners, calories in drinks, etc. you can probably believe that I was not interested in drinking coffee with a bunch of stuff added to it.  So, I thought and thought about this and thought more about how food flavors had changed over my years and, I decided to see if I could change my taste buds when it came to coffee.  I started sipping plain black coffee everyday.  I would make myself do it.  It takes about 21 days to develop a new habit, so that's the goal I set for myself.  For 21 straight days I made myself sip on plain black coffee.  About half way through the challenge I gave myself, I started automatically pouring myself a cup of coffee in the mornings.  By the end of the 21 day challenge, plain black coffee started sounding good to me!  What I did next was go to my grandmother and let her know that I am now a coffee drinker!  She acted like that was the best news she had heard all week!  She said, "OH CARA, I didn't know you like coffee!  You know, it's great for your memory.  I tell my friends that drink water and forget things that if they would start drinking coffee they would remember things better."  (If an 88 year old of excellent sound mind is going to give you some advice - BELIEVE IT!)

At this point, plain black coffee and I are getting along just great and Grandma worries about me a little less!  It's a win-win for everyone!  Now, when it comes to the few vegetables that are less than pleasant, I'm going to stick to my challenge from my friend and say nothing.

Have you ever challenged your taste buds?  If not, I encourage you to.  Start with tea...sip on plain tea, with nothing added to it, for 21 days and report your results...I'll be waiting to hear!

Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions...
Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment