Friday, September 13, 2013

What in the world are we putting into our bodies?

Who knows the answer to this?  I sure don't and I have fun studying food every day!  Are you one of the people who reads the labels on food?  Well, if you've seen some of the labels I've seen, you're probably thinking you need a chemistry or Latin degree or something like that to understand all of the ingredients, right?  I mean, it's crazy!  Everything you put into your body has an effect inside of you.  It can be good or bad.  For example, if you are putting too much sugar in your body, eventually you could develop diabetes.  If you are putting too much bad fat in your body, you could end up with clogged arteries and have heart disease that could result in a heart attack.  So, what's the solution?  How do we enjoy eating and be sure we are putting the right things into our bodies?  KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!  The interesting part of all of this is that we are all so different that it makes this whole scientific experiment called eating a little challenging.  KNOW YOUR BODY!  The 1st thing I recommend to anyone who wants to know what to do is head to the doctor.  Get a check up and BE SURE the doctor takes blood, I know, I know, needles scare you, well, guess what...if you don't get a little blood taken today and figure out how to take the best care of yourself, you might find yourself in a situation where you have to face needles way more often than just once a year.  Be sure the doctor runs blood tests on your cholesterol, vital organs, vitamins, iron, etc, everything possible.  Why is this so important?  Well, my family has a history of high cholesterol.  When I was in my mid 20s (almost 20 years ago), I was diagnosed with borderline high cholesterol.  The doctor said, "cut down on sweets."  I said, "I'm not a sweet eater.  I'd rather have a salad than a brownie any day."  The doctor said, "cut down on fried & greasy foods."  I said, "I'm not a fried, greasy food kind of eater.  I'd rather eat vegetables than fried greasy stuff any day."  The doctor said, "it must be heredity."  I already had that idea in my head, but wanted to see if he caught on.  I constantly research foods that will help with cholesterol, and, I control my cholesterol with food and fitness.  Every six months we check my cholesterol level and I've been able to keep it under control enough not to have to take medicine, and, that's the way I intend to keep it.  Why am I so against medicine?  Because I've seen what it does to people.  As I hear from so many of you, I get the same story way too many times.  Many doctors are prescribing medicine to people and not talking about food options to help with health issues.  THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE TODAY!  The prescriptions are written, folks go home and take the medicine, develop more side effects, require more medicine to help with the side effects, get to the point that they are unable to control their weight, because, remember, we said at the beginning of this blog that everything you put into your body has either a good or bad effect on it.  I've heard from so many of you that you've taken what we've said and have changed your eating lifestyle with the result of curing yourselves, being able to discontinue prescriptions (ALWAYS talk to your doctor before discontinuing prescriptions.  If your doctor refuses to work with you, find another one), and are leading a much better quality of life.  That's what it's all about!  Am I against medicine?  No.  I am for options.  I am for doctors that spend the time to talk about food with their patients.  I am for doctors that will listen when you say that you are not interested in taking medicine.  My doctor only sees me when it's time for a check up or a blood test, that's it.  I don't remember the last time I went to the doctor because I was sick. (probably shouldn't have said, or blogged that sentence cause you know how those things work out;))  When my husband and I were looking for a new family doctor many years ago, (and we went through a few before we hit the Jack-pot, his name is Jack) I insisted to Dr. Jack that I am not interested in taking medicine unless it's absolutely necessary for myself or my children.  He listened and takes really good care of us.  My kids only go to the doctor for their check up or when they twist, bend, or hyper-extend something - they're boys, after all.  I'm not going to say that they are NEVER sick because I'm only willing to risk saying things like that about myself, if you know what I mean.  Anyway, I could go on and on and on, so that's probably how I ended up in radio, but, I'll wrap it up.  Please consider becoming part of my company, Healthy Now...Healthy Later.  We talk about how to be healthy by changing small habits one at a time and teaching folks how to grocery shop & cook in fun, healthy, and delicious ways.  We'd love to have you aboard!  We ALL have health in common & we're making it fun!
Where can you find me?  All over the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area, all over the web, and all over the world on www.fbrn.us (Fishbowl Radio Network) every Wednesday 11:00am-1:00pm central time in the Talk Bowl.  We are reaching out to everyone who eats!  We want to make a difference and have fun!  JOIN US PLEASE, and let me know if you have any questions or ideas to share with the class!
Here are the specific places you can find us on the web...
www.caraperkins.com
www.facebook.com/caraperkinshnhl
Twitter - caraperkinshnhl
Pinterest - caraperkinshnhl
Instagram - caraperkinshnhl
Youtube - caraperkinshnhl

I look forward to hearing from you...until then...stay heathy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment